Monday 10 June 2013

Birth Art and "the chat"

During my break from blogland I have been lucky enough to attend several sessions Birth Art through my local NCT group, which has been a very positive experience.

I struggle sometimes with depression, largely due to the difficulties involved with my OH's illness and general anxieties about life (don't we all?) but BA has been a chance to get together with a small group of ladies and have coffee/cake/chat and a short meditation after which we draw/paint/model our visualisation. It sounds very new age, which I guess it is but is not totally out there either if that makes sense?


It has been a very positive experience, where I often find things seem better afterwards, I feel more earthed' a bit like a reset button. The object of the exercise is to use the emotional, artistic, feeling, right hand side of the brain rather than the logical, fix it, solution finding left side. Artistic talent is not necessary (thank goodness, I was at the back of the queue when talent was handed out) it is about the feelings and connexions made.


Also whilst washing up and preparing dinner last night Munch and I had "The Chat". A first for her in regard to asking questions etc as usually if the subject comes up she gets very embarrassed and refuses to talk about, which is one of the reasons I bought her the Usborne book of Growing up. (I remember my aunt buying me a copy at about Munch's age as my mum was rubbish at explaining these kinds of things.)

I have also been looking at A Mighty Girl on facebook and their websites to seek out positive female role models for my dd's and inspiration in addressing the issue of gender stereotypes as well as celebrating new moon passings and the our inner goddess.

No comments:

Post a Comment